Choptank Community Health Center
The preceptorship program at Choptank Community Health (CCHS) is designed for U.S. or internationally trained dentists who wish to gain a DMD, DDS or a specialized postgraduate training at one of the premier dental schools in the country.
The program familiarizes participants with predoctoral clinical and didactic education and the U.S. group practice structure while simultaneously providing the information and skills participants need to further their dental education.
Our AEGD program at CCHS is part of the NYU Langone Dental Medicine residency training program. There is a wide range of academic and clinical interactions between the preceptees and the AEGD residents. The preceptorship program is under the leadership and direction of Dr. Tumouh Al-Allaq who has guided several international dentists for their successful acceptance into DDS or DMD programs. Dr. Al-Allaq works closely with each preceptees and is involved in their application/ interview preparation process for DDS or DMD programs.
Preceptees engage in didactic courses, seminars, hands on workshops and conferences, carry out independent research, and are exposed to comprehensive dental instruction through an intensive observership experience. Participants are involved in all phases of the didactic program, including CE courses and other educational opportunities. Preceptees will be only allowed to observe all clinical procedures however, direct patient care is not allowed.
Upon Completion of the program requirements, such as case presentations, literature reviews, and possible research projects, the preceptee is awarded a Certificate of Completion.
Qualified dentists are welcomed to apply for a 3,6 or 12-months preceptorships in AEGD or community outreach or both programs.
Candidates for admission must be:
- Qualified graduates in dentistry (D.D.S., D.M.D ,B.D.S or non-U.S. equivalent) prior to matriculation.
- Proficient in English, spoken and written.
- Valid visa status, as program does not issue one.
Program Schedule and Rotations:
- This program is full-time (Monday through Friday: 8:30 a.m.- 5 p.m.).
- Preceptees are required to do additional rotations besides AEGD, which include:
- Oral Surgery
- Geriatric Dentistry
- AEGD Regional Day Lectures and Seminars
- Family Medicine
- Operating room (OR)
- Online application
- $250 application nonrefundable processing fee (this fee will be applied to the total cost of the program if applicant is accepted)
- Curriculum vitae
- An official dental education transcript or dental diploma in English
- Two letter of recommendation
- Phone / Skype interview with Dr. Al-Allaq, Program Director
Tuition and Fees:
- 3 months: $6,000
- 6 months: $10,000
- 12 months: $17,000
Stipend and Benefits:
No stipend, nor benefits are offered
- Candidates will receive a Certificate of Completion from Choptank Community Health upon fulfillment of requirements of graduation.
- Continuing Education Certificates
Dr. Tumouh Al-Allaq, DDS: Associate Clinical Dental Director
AEGD- NYU Site Director
Preceptorship Program Director
Continuing Education Director
Phone: 410-228-9381 ext:5738
Tammy Osborn: Program Coordinator and credentialing specialist
Phone: 410-479-8346 ext:5020
As default: Sandra Garbely, DMD: Senior VP and Chief Dental Officer